Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Mrs Ranty Pants

It may not be Monday but i've got my ranty-pants on today. Why? Because one of my colleagues is annoying me so much i'm trying desperately to control the urge to punch him in the head. Violent? Yea, maybe. A means to an end? Yep.

For the next two weeks i am working in my department by myself. Rather than this fill me with dread at being run entirely off my feet, i'm more worried about running out of things to do and spending my days fighting off boredom. You see, with our optometrist on leave, so are his patients - which leaves me with only paperwork and filing to catch up on. Not the most exciting of prospects, and the likely situation is that i will have finished playing catch ups this afternoon and be left with 4 more shifts and not very much to do.

So, knowing this, at 9am this morning, this particular colleague is over in my department, poking around, putting deliveries away. Ordinarily I might appreciate a bit of help, but in this circumstance he was being kind of unhelpful.

No worries though, it was only one thing. I thanked him and asked him to leave anything else for me to do. " Oh, dont you want me to come over here and give you a hand cleaning it out? " Umm... no, thanks, i can do it myself. It wont take that long. " Oh, but dont you need me to do some of your filing ? " Umm.... no thanks, i'm here by myself with no patients remember? " Yea, but how about i do some phone calls for you ? " Umm... seriously, no. I can do it by myself. ( Now get out of my department ).

So sure, that sounds pretty petty. And it is - but when its a person who is very rarely doing his own work, at his own desk, poking around your department playing 20 questions, its gets a bit much. As does his attitude to his own work when its there to be done - seeing that he was busy chit-chatting to someone ( and i mean chit-chatting, having a catch up, not actually doing business with them ) i answered his phone. I couldnt help with the callers query ( you know, seeing as its not my department ) and when i cleared my throat, did the whole " Umm, excuse me - this lady needs blahedy blah " you know what he says ? " I dont know. Cant help her " and turns back to his friend. How. Effing. Rude. Rude to me and rude to the caller. I had to jump back on the phone and tactfully explain that he wasnt sure of the answer and transfer her elsewhere.

When he finally finished his chat and his friend had left.... well copped an evil eye and a mouthful from me about how rude he was. I'm telling ya - he carries on like this for the rest of the fortnight he'll be headed for an early grave....

5 comments:

  1. Gah, issues with work colleagues are incredibly frustrating! I have no words of wisdom for you Amy, the last time I worked with someone like that I sat on it for ages until one day I exploded, not good! Hope it works out and you can find a way to deal with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so annoying! I hate working with people like that.

    When it comes to work i tend to be fairly straight with people (not so good in my personal life though) and usually end up with people thinking I'm a bitch. However when I'm at work I'm there to work and expect a high level from myself and those around me. I'm not there to make friends, so if someone is being shit I usually tell them. They may not like me so much but at least they lift their game and we're all better off for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No words of wisdom here either. Unlesss... What are your workplace harassment policies like? Maybe subtly mention that should he continue he is likely to get a pen in the eye and require the services of your optomoetrist???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh god i hate those kinds of people passionately.

    ReplyDelete