Sunday, December 7, 2008

I am the Blackbird - koo koo ka-chu!

Okay, before you all think I've gone completely mental and mixed up my Beatles lyrics, let me explain. Firstly, yes, i know that I am the Eggman, you are the Eggmen and I am the Walrus, koo koo ka-chu. This is not the point. What is the point is I was listening to the soundtrack to " Across the Universe " while i drove a little ways out of town to visit a friend and I'm singing along to " Blackbird " and do you know what i realised ? That song is about me - I am the blackbird ( koo koo ka-chu! koo koo ka-chu! Sorry, couldnt help it... ). You know what I mean, like when you're listening to a song and then all of a sudden the lyrics just become so overwhelmingly profound, like John and Paul forsaw the future and are actually trying to send me a personal message ? Witness :

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these broken wings and learn to fly
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to arise

Blackbird singing in the dead of night
Take these sunken eyes and learn to see
All your life
You were only waiting for this moment to be free

Don't you see ? Blackbird taking broken wings and learning to fly = me breaking free of depression and crap and moving on with my life. Its genius! Ah, The Beatles save the day again....

Not the day really needed to be saved - i was having a great day as it was. I finally saw " Australia " and let me tell you - fantabulous. Sure, I might be just a tad biased - because i live here and i'm almost completely in love with Hugh Jackman and Baz Luhrman is my second favourite director - but it really was great movie. It was epic on the scale of, say, " Giant " or " Gone With The Wind " but i dont think its on the same " classic " level. I can see what Baz was aiming for but he misses by this much. ( Which is to say , like, this <...> much ). The cinematography was superb, as expected - the shots of the Australian landscape are gorgeous, the use of colour is strikingly simple, and the costumes are perfect ( god, how Hugh Jackman looks so delicious IN clothes... ). Mr Jackman does a good job and brings this beautiful raw charisma to the Drover, but Nicole Kidman is a slight let down. I do not care how much she tries to deny it, the womans face is pumped full of plastic. She smiles, there are no smile lines; she frowns, her brow does not furrow. The real suprise packet though is the child who plays Nullah ( Brandon Walters i believe his name is ). He has a beautiful expressive face and he seems so authentic in his role - i suppose in part to his upbringing in a remote community. I am telling you, any of you who have read negative reviews on this film, especially those of you in the States, please give this film a shot.

The best part of my day though was the visit to my friend, Mrs N. Now Mrs N is a woman who was, for lack of a beter description, a teachers aid at my primary school. I should say is, because she still works there after 20 years. I have never asked her old she actually is ( that would just be rude, wouldnt it ? ) but she would have to be in her late 70's , if not older. The thing is, Mrs N gets me. She is the easiest person to talk to and she is never anything but gracious, kind and non-judgemental. In lieu of the relationships i DON'T have with my grandparents, Mrs N is like a surrogate grandmother to me, and its a relationship i very much appreciate. She indulges me intellectually too. It is so wonderful to be able to spend a few hours with someone, to be able to discuss so many topics and ideas and issues and have someone understand and appreciate what you're saying. Its an incredible boost to divulge your most personal demons to someone and still have them say they love you, admire you and are inspired by you. I feel like everyone should have someone like Mrs N in their lives.

I told her about my smile challenge, but what I didnt tell her is that spending the afternoon in her ramshackle little cottage was the biggest smile I'd had all week...

6 comments:

  1. Great little post blackbird. Yes, how often do those Beatles save the day!

    'Australia', sure, 3.5 stars no more no less just like David and Margaret from The Movie Show reckoned.

    I thought the superimposition of the 'Stolen Generations' sub-plot onto Hugh and Nicole's adopted child was a horrible contrivance though, possibly a little offensive to the real people concerned.

    Hey,
    "Take these sunken eyes and learn to see" ...
    what a great anthem for an Optical Dispenser!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree - missed by [..] much.

    THe worst part was the cattle stampede where it was painfully clear that it was all shot in a studio, where no one really looked like they were riding a horse, but were more obviously making crude sexual gestures. Such a shame when you have scenes from movies like The Man From Snowy River that look so unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous - welcome stranger ! Care to introduce the person behind the mask ?

    @Dash - so did you watch it while you were home or are they showing it in Kathmandu ? And agreed a little with the stampede, it did look a little obviously CGI didnt it ? Hut HUgh makes up for it by looking so good in his pants....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I personally like "bye bye black bird", (Sleepless in Seattle soundtrack by the way) but I totally know what you mean by having those epiphanous moments where song lyrics seem to make sense in your life.

    Anywho, I'm really glad that you liked Australia, I was intrigued when I saw the previews. I'll let you know what I think . . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. new post please....that's the third time i've come across this one...seriously. you letting your game drop?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow I love it!

    It's my favourite song and I never saw it like that but I so get it.

    That's the beauty of the Beatles and music in general, it is relatable on so many different levels.

    Such a good post, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete