Sunday, March 17, 2013

And Now For An Update

A proper update, on my continuing fitness challenges.

To be honest, I'm in two minds here at the half way point - I'm proud of what I am beginning to achieve, but I had hoped for more. However, I know that the only way I could have achieved more is if I had pushed harder and put in my effort, which I quite obviously did not. Let me elaborate..... With dot points!



* I have started jogging again and though I'm not 'running ' yet, and I can't jog for as long as I used to be able to, I am proud of myself. I'm getting out there and I'm trying. So far I've built myself up to being able to jog for 7 minutes at a time, then walk for 3 or 4 minutes ( or one full song on my IPod ) and then jog for another 7 minutes.
* My short term goal is to be able to jog the whole way from my house to my parents house. I'm not sure of the exact distance, but I estimate that if I jog the whole way it would be a 15 - 20 minute jog.
* The number on the scale hasn't changed much - and even though the numbers on the scale don't mean everything ( seeing as my starting weight is only 6 kg from my ideal BMI weight ) its still disheartening. I have only lost 1kg in 6 weeks and I'll be honest and say I would have liked it to have been at least twice that. However, I can only blame myself, as I haven't stuck strictly to the recommended exercise programme.
* However, I have lost 20cms overall ( across all body measurements ) and I can see a difference in my shape. I also feel more comfortable on my clothes, though I haven't actually dropped a full clothing size.

So, you see - conflicted. I haven't stuck to the exact recommended exercises because I 'failed ' at one session early on, and it scared me off a little. However, I picked myself up and instead of pushing to the absolute limit, Biggest Loser style, I've taken bits and pieces and adapted them to something that is working better for me and my schedule. I'm a 'slow burner ' type of person I think - I like to build towards something slowly, evenly, and at a level I can work at comfortably. I know the whole ' go hard or go home! ', gung ho, all-or-nothing thing works for some people, it just doesn't work for me. It only serves to make me feel like a failure if I can't do as much as the programme says I should be able to do ( high expectations and anxiety and all that ).
So for now, its a slow burn, slow jog to a fitter, healthier me!

1 comment:

  1. Keep going Amy, it sounds like you are doing a fantastic job. We always want a little more but you seem to be doing what you can manage and I think that's most important. It shouldn't be stressful.

    ReplyDelete