Monday, March 18, 2013

Creating A Village

You know how they say it takes a village to raise a child? Yea, well, Mick and I are creating that village by.... Moving in with my parents.

Unfortunately, this is NOT the village we will be living in....


Gasp!No!An almost 30 yr old couple with two children moving in with their parents.... Its a giant backwards step! Or so you may say but, for us, its a stepping stone to something much better. Remember how my physical  goal for the year was to qualify for a decent sized home loan? Well, I'd thought on that prospect for a while, run some numbers, pondered likelihoods and then sat and had a serious discussion with my husband. Without going too much into our financial particulars, we have business loans and my mortgage on our current duplex holding working against us. We figure that if we sell my duplex and move in with my parents, we'll have that mortgage monkey off our back and we'll be able to save that amount per week towards a deposit.

We plan on staying around 6-8 months, however long it takes to save a certain amount we have in mind. With three spare rooms, it means we each get our own room ( we meaning Mick and I, and then Flynn and Tully have their own aswell ), and we'll share the living costs equally with my parents.  Plus, I think its far to say that Flynn is beyond excited to move in with Grandma and Poppy!

To be honest, I'm actually looking forward to it myself. I love my parents, I get along with them incredibly well ( Mick has even confessed to being perfectly at ease with his in-laws ) and living with two extra adults will definitely have its perks. Such as? Two other people to split the chores with; two other people who enjoy cooking and will no doubt be happy to do it on the days I work ( while I'll be more than willing to do my share on my days off ); and two loving, caring family members who can look after my kiddies while I get in a bit of me time, or a bit of couples time with my handsome hubby.

So - are you with me? Would you move in with your parents, or in-laws, if it meant you could have a better life for your own little family just that little bit sooner?

And,because its Tuesday you can find me over at IBOT at EssentiallyJess !

16 comments:

  1. I definitely couldn't, but I see why it is a good idea x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem like a good idea - I guess only time will tell....

      Delete
  2. Not in a million years! I used to think I could move in with my mum, but I seriously question that now, too. Would have to be a very big house! But I too can see why it will help. I hope it is a smooth and painless 6-8 months and that you get that loan you want for your dream home. x Aroha (#teamIBOT)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That loan is the end goal.... I'm keeping my eyes on the prize!

      Delete
  3. I love the idea of it - and I think for about a month it would probably work. But my mum can be a bit of a martyr at times so I doubt it be too much longer before there was a blow up. I'm glad it looks like it will work for you guys - good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm crossing my fingers it works. Even if it does end up doing my head in towards the end, that's the sacrifice I'm willing to make for my kids futures...

      Delete
  4. Lots of pluses, and for the right people, it's a brilliant idea. For me, with my own parents or inlaws, a visit of about 4 hours is enough.
    I would go totally insane and I'm pretty sure it would end badly...but as I said, that's probably more about me and my family/inlaws than anyone else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol... If my parents got on my nerves after that short a time I don't think I,d consider it either!

      Delete
  5. After having my parents recently stay for 5 weeks, hell no!
    I love my space and privacy, I am also fiercely independent and could not imagine ever moving back in with family.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See now, I'm a homebody that loves intimate conversation and time with my family, so I think it may work for us. In theory anyway :/

      Delete
  6. Absolutely not, it would be a nightmare with either sets of parents, but if you can make it work I say good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well we're going to try our hardest. Shared responsibilities, shared bills, a TV in our room so we don't always have to be in each others space, and regular date nights for both adult couples so we can get some quality 'alone ' time....

      Delete
  7. There is no way. I would have to kill them.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. If it meant a better quality of life in the long run, I could definitely move in with my Mum. Not so sure about the in-laws as we have already been there, done that, living with them while we saved to buy the house we are in now. Good luck with it all, I hope it all goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. TOTALLY with you Amy, I hope it all works out! Just think of the end goal!

    ReplyDelete