Monday, March 4, 2013

( Junior ) Masterchef

The weather has been pretty much craptacular along the entire east coast this past week and, consequently, we've been cooped up inside. With the added bonus of being a bit sickly. Which means one certain little boy person has gone a little stir crazy ( read: feral ). But, no matter how feral he gets, and no matter how much his house bound craziness gets on my nerves, there is one activity I LOVE doing with my son.... And that's cooking.

What? You've never heard of the 'Naked Chef '?

I always loved cooking with my parents - as a little girl it was making simple things like pattie cakes with my mum, but as I got older I loved being in the kitchen with my dad - so now I'm really glad that Flynn enjoys being in the kitchen with me. He's only 3 years old, so he can only help with the simple things like stirring or pouring ingredients into the bowl, but for now that's enough. 

He drags a chair to the kitchen bench, and stands up on it so he's the same height as me; we talk about what we're making and how we're going to do it; he asks questions about the ingredients ( what's that Mum? Where does it come from ? Can I have some? ) and I do my best to explain; I let him smell, and touch, and taste. He got a bit carried away the other day and decided he would smell the cinnamon by himself, which ended up with the lid being yanked off and half a bottle of cinnamon spilled all over my kitchen floor like very fine, very sweet smelling dirt.... But that was all part of our cooking adventure.

We made French toast for breakfast on Sunday morning - and my proudest moment was when he asked ' Dad - how was your toast? Did I make it nice? '. I hope his love for cooking doesn't dwindle anytime soon, and I can't wait til Tully is big enough to start joining us in the kitchen....

You can find this linked up again with IBOT over at EssentiallyJess !




17 comments:

  1. We love cooking too, I have to admit my version of OCD does mean I get a little controlling, really need to let go and let the boys have a real turn. We have alot of naked chef going in too....!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love cooking too, although Miss 4 is a big too enthusiatic sometimes. Miss 14 is such a talented cook now and just loves creating new foods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait til he gets to the age when he can make something entirely on his own. I'm looking forward to it actually....

      Delete
  3. How cute is your little Naked Chef! I'm not much in to cooking but I definitely think that as Mia gets older we'll do a bit of cooking together, probably baking mostly, and maybe a special breakfast on Father's Day! If anything she'll be cooking with her Dad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to add... #teamIBOT was here!

      Delete
    2. Making special brekkies is one of the best bits!

      Delete
  4. Oh that's gorgeous!! My kids love cooking with me too. They are pros at knowing what comes next with making pancakes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A pancake recipe off the top of your head is very important ;)

      Delete
  5. How adorbs. I sometimes like cooking with my 3 year old, sometimes it is TOO MUCH and I just want to DO IT MYSELF! Is that bad? I think it probably is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I don't cook with him all the time... But when we do cook together its fun!

      Delete
  6. I so wish I could be like you and let my son do this - go you Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably helps that the rest of my house is already a mess so I don't really care if my kitchen gets messy too :/

      Delete
  7. My daughter likes to get right in there and help too, she even gets on the bench. Her favourite thing is cracking eggs into a bowl, and then tipping them into a recipe or in the pan for fried eggs. She loves stirring and licking the bowl :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Licking the bowl/spoon/beaters is one of the best parts!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your own little mini masterchef. How proud you must be. Might be a chef in the making! Thanks for linking up with Eat.Pray.Love as well :)

    ReplyDelete