Friday, August 12, 2011

Whose Wedding Is It Anyway?

Let me ask you this: what makes a good wedding?


As a bride-to-be ( in 12 weeks and counting! ) its a question i've been pondering for a while now. However, after watching this seasons first episode of the trash-tastic " Four Weddings " i started thinking - yes, its my wedding, but how much should i consider the enjoyment of others on my big day?


Mick and I are going for a laidback, casual kind of vibe with our wedding. We're having an outdoor ceremony ( on a cute little deck beside a small lake - complete with fountain! ) and our reception is being held in the private function lounge at the most " boutique " pub bar in town. We're having a cocktail reception - which means no set tables or 3 course meal, just the chance to move around, engage with everyone, and have fancy finger foods brought out for a tapas-style dinner. We're having a jukebox and a pool table, and we'd really love for it to feel like a big party with everyone in pretty clothes, as opposed to the stuffy, formal affairs that some weddings can be. I've had help from a wedding planner with decorations but have organised everything else myself.

I guess what i'm getting at is - of course the bride needs to love the big day, but how much should everyone else love it? I know no-one will be keeping score like the girls on " Four Weddings " but i'd really love for my guests to come away from my wedding saying that they really enjoyed the whole event, that its one of the best they've been to. ( You know, without sounding either too desperate or competitive... ).

What made your wedding special? Aside from the dream dress and the hair and the make-up, what was one thing that "made " the day for you? Or, as a guest, what makes for a memorable wedding experience?



5 comments:

  1. I guess what made my day was having my closest friends and sister at the wedding. People who loved me for who I am and not what they wanted me to be. That mattered. And they didn't care either what the wedding was like as long as I was happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just going to be perfectly honest..I didn't really care if anyone liked my wedding. In fact, one of my bridesmaids, after my wedding, told several of my close friends at the wedding that she thought my wedding was hideous and ghetto and talked at length about how much better her wedding would be. We no longer speak because, well, she's not the nicest of people, but her comments didn't bother me. It would have been fun to have all the fancy stuff, but I didn't need it. All I needed was David and Ethan. All I needed was to marry my love with our son by our side. The people that were there (aside from the mouthy bridesmaid) didn't care that it wasn't lavish, they cared that I was happy and in love and could share that with me. That's what mattered.

    As a guest at a wedding, I just want to feel comfortable. What makes me comfortable is seeing a happy bride and groom celebrating their love for each other and their sparkling future. I like to see them relaxed and enjoying their guests. The more relaxed the happy couple, the more relaxed the guest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot pinpoint the singular thing that made our wedding so great. It just was. you know what I think makes a wedding fantastic? When you know that the couple are meant to be - because then everyone in the room is genuinely happy and that happiness radiates.

    (As an aside though, Im a big fan of awesome music to dance too, because a rocking dancefloor is a rocking party!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the end of the day expect the unexpected..So many little things went wrong at my wedding but I just choose not to dwell on them..I think that's important to do! Instead I focus on the positives because really at the end of the day it is only one day..and besides you will never make everybody happy so just concentrate on making you guys happy x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Personally, I think that if your day reflects you as a couple, and your guests can see how genuinely happy you are, everything else will fall into place. The old cliche about not being able to please all of the people all of the time definitely applies to weddings though - so although it's nice to try and give your guests a nice experience, ultimately it is your day and your enjoyment should be the highest priority.

    ReplyDelete